Saturday, December 30, 2017

Why You Should Read Nonfiction Books

     Copying isn't praised in our world. But what if I told you that my greatest accomplishment for 2017 was learning to copy someone else? I guess you're not impressed. But I am. Learning to copy is actually something that successful people actually do. Many of our modern inventions mimic things that nature does. So, learning to copy isn't a bad thing.
     Out of all the things we could potentially copy in 2018, I would say that the habit of reading nonfiction books is number one. It is actually one of the habits that majority of America's most successful people share according to the huffingtonpost. No doubt this habit contributes to their success.
     It is unrealistic to expect everyone to be as successful as them, but even avid readers often overlook nonfiction books. I was one of them. I dreaded these kind of books. They led me to think of my high school days where I was reading boring textbooks and shortly after forgot the information. As a result, I absolutely refused to voluntarily read nonfiction from front to back. That was until I stumbled upon the book Screen Schooled while scanning through my local library one day. I think it is helping me out big time. 
     This year, I learned that nonfiction books don't have to be boring. To begin with, they could teach you a lot. Fiction books, on the other hand, are primarily for entertainment. They could also teach many things, but since they put amusement first, they usually can't teach as much. Nonfiction books teach life lessons as well as things that will help us adapt to our environment. That's why we should read them. I will definitely copy this habit in 2018.

8 comments:

  1. Excellent points, but I do prefer fiction, I'm lazy and want to be entertained ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too prefer to read fiction, but it is a goal of mine to read other styles of writing

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting post I much prefer fiction, I can't remember the last time I read non fiction, but I do have a few on my TBR.
    Gemma @ www.gemmasbooknook.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've read many nonfiction books that I've really enjoyed, but I always tend to stick to fiction books.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Like most people, I prefer fiction, but you make several great points.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have a few non fiction titles to read this year. Hopefully I will get to them. Great points.

    Gayathri @ Elgee Writes

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post! However, I still prefer reading fiction books :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. You definitely have some good points. I have a few autobiographies I am looking forward to reading but for the most part, I read to escape reality. Still, great post :)

    Megan @ Ginger Mom & the Kindle Quest

    ReplyDelete